Denmark Driver’s License

Denmark Driver’s License




Denmark Driver’s License


To drive in Denmark, the driver must present a valid Denmark driver’s licenee that has been held for at least 1 or 2 years (according to different car rental company).


An International Driving Permit (IDP) is recommended for anyone living outside of Denmark. Especially if your Denmark driver’s license is printed with non Roman Alphabet (Arabic, Japanese, Cyrillic etc), an International Driving Permit (IDP/IDL) or an official translation in English is required when you drive in Denmark. Please note that an International Driving Permit (often referred to as an International Driver’s License) cannot replace the requirement for a regular driver’s license. And you must carry your current overseas driver’s licence, IDP or translation with you all the time when driving in Denmark.



Some car rental companies require you to have a photo ID license. If your foreign license does not have a photo ID, you should get an IDP before travelling to Denmark if you intend to rent a car.


When renting in Denmark, customers with UK Driving Licenses issued in Great Britain (except Northern Ireland) will need to provide evidence of any driving endorsements. You can get and print the DVLA endorsement record in the DVLA* website.


Age Requirement

To rent a car in Denmark you must be at least 20 years old (age may vary by car category). Each car rental company has its own age requirements and a deviation from the minimum age is possible depending on the vehicle. If you’re 20-26, you are likely to have to pay a young driver fee.


*Attention! Some car rental companies would have different requirements. Please check Terms and Conditions during the booking process.

There are 2 topics about getting a drivers license:

1. To obtain a drivers licence on danish conditions
2. To exchange previously licence to danish licence.

To obtain a Denmark driver’s license tru a driving school requires:

Minimum age og 18 ( can start lessons 3 month before)
medical exam
first aid course ( minimum 7 lessons)
danish cpr number
education in driving school:
minimum 4 lessons on closed manouvre track
minimum 28 lessons in theory class
minimum 16 driving lessons ( with a stick)
minimum 4 lessons on “slippery track” / skid pan area
pass theory exam
pass driving test

Notice only very few driving school educate in other languages.

To Exchange previous license has 2 topics:

1: exchange licence from other eu-country

Having a valid EU-License from other eu country,no need to change.
But be aware of the categories in DK.
For example. You must have cat. A licence to drive ANY kind of MC and 45km scooter too.

Cat,B is MAX. 3500 kg total weight and there are difficult trailer rules too.

But as written on top your license is valid, but sometimes you can get cheaper car insurance if you provide Denmark Driver’s license and also car rental can get cheaper.
The cost for exchange at “borgerservice” is 260DKK and a new photo

2: exchange license from non eu-countries
this is a hard one.
After recieveing CPR number, get all things below done within 90 days( driving with foreign licence after 90 days give a Fine on 5000 DKK)

1 . Make a proper passport photo for the license.

2. Health Certificate from your Danish doctor.

3. Contact a driving school for info about danish rules. only few driving schools (køreskoler) make education in english .

4. Go to local ‘ borgerservice ‘ at your municipality , to fill an application and bring with you:

– The Health Certificate from your Danish doctor together with the Passport photo.

– Your Passport .

– Valid residence permit unless you may legally reside in Denmark without permission.

– CPR number/ yellow card ( sygesikringsbevis).

– Your National driving license , if text not in english ‘ french ‘ german
or if is not issued in Latin letters, you must bring a certified translation into English, from an authorized translator.

– Pay a fee on DKK 260 ( dec 2010) for the service from Borgerservice.

You then recieve a temporary licence valid up to 2 months ( within the 2 months you have to pass the Theory test and the Driving Test)
If you you for some reason don`t get ready within 2 months and you attend a driving school , then the driving school often can help you to get the period extended.

The theory test is in Danish and is managed by the police. You also need a translator for the theory test as well as for the driving test. The police and “borgerservice” can provide a list of approved translators that you can contact.Note that there are limited slots available for test with translator, especially outside Copenhagen. Please be advised that the translator will charge for this service.
The driving instructor/ kørelærer might be able to provide this service.

Note that if you don`t pass the theory test the fee for new one 870 dkk(June2011) to borgerservice

Driving Test / køreprøve

When you have passed the Theory Test, you need to make an appointment for a Driving Test with a suitably qualified Driving School/køreskole, please note that there can be a “waiting line” by the police for the driving test for several weeks. The Driving School will probably suggest that you have a few lessons with them, which you will be charged for. All driving schools/ køreskoler provide a car with “stick” and only a few provide cars with automatic.

Denmark driver’s License

When you have passed the Driving Test, the police will issue a new Temporary Denmark Driving License/ midlertidig kørekort normally valid for 1-2 months. The proper Danish EU licence will follow in ordinary mail 3-4 weeks after you have passed the Test.

Your previus licence will stay at the police/ borgerservice, and when you leave EU, you the can exchange back. Also if it is only temporary you go home.

ALL these problems you can get more details on especially in forum you find help

good luck with licence— Charly

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.